Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

18 Jul

Last night I planned to hit up a simple yoga basics class, but was talked into taking a hot ashtanga flow class instead. I ended up staring at my sweaty self for almost an hour.

You see, the hot studio recently underwent some renovations, one of which was a mirror added to the length of the class (there used to be one just at the short end front of the class). Now instead of facing the old short front, we all turn our mats and face the long mirrored side of the class room. I suppose it’s so more people can see their form in the mirror. All I know is that if you’re late, like I was yesterday, you get stuck right in front of the mirror. Staring at yourself. And if you’re as close as I was yesterday, you’re also trying not to break the mirror during a sun salutation.

After taking an entire hot yoga class placed strategically right in front of myself a mirror, I have made some very important observations.

Observation #1: I sweat… like, a lot during hot yoga.

Like drip drown my balls a lot. My entire body was crying sweating.

At one point I was folded over, watching the sweat drip down my nose and onto the mat in front of me and I actually starting to sing Get Low in my head. In my brain it was something like this:

Source

However, on the outside I just held my pose and breathed.

Observation #2: I have big brown eyes.

And by “eyes” I really mean puppies. Melons. Lady lumps.  Flotation devices.

I didn’t think I was wearing an exposing top, yet my cleavage still looked like a giant, shiny, sweaty mountains. I made a mental note to start wearing turtlenecks to class. Does Lululemon make yoga turtlenecks?

Observation #3: I have a lot of work to do.

At times I noticed that my shoulders weren’t squared, I was sticking my ass out, or I was misaligned. If I got a progress report to bring to my mom after class, I’m sure it would read something like this:

Dear Ms. Vazquez,

Your daughter really needs to work on everything when it comes to yoga. Except for shavasana. She seems to do that okay.

Sincerely,

Yoga

Observation #4: It’s really hard not to stare at yourself when you have no where else to look.

I tried looking up. I tried looking down. I tried squinting so everything was a blur.

Observation #5: Waterproof makeup does work.

On the bright side, I did confirm that my waterproof eyeliner and mascara (that were applied in the morning before work) are indeed waterproof. If only I could say the same for my hair.

Have you ever had to take any fitness class in front of a mirror? How does it make your feel?

Advertisements

9 Responses to “Mirror, Mirror on the Wall”

1. loseitbig July 19, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I can’t answer your question about a fitness class in a mirror but I do work out in front of one just to make sure I have the right form. You have me totally confused…with your sweat “drip drown my balls” and your shiny mountain melons….ohh man I thought I had this world figured out

• Hemarie July 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Life is always a learning experience! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

2. Faith @ For the Health of It July 19, 2012 at 10:43 am #

I’m dying laughing. I can’t hear that song without thinking of that Sandra Bullock scene. Hot yoga does definitely make you more comfortable with sweat, that’s for sure…I’ve walked out several times with sweat that definitely WASNT MINE dripping down my leg.Yuck!

• Hemarie July 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Ew. I always try not to set up shop next to guys. They don’t sweat quite as pretty as the ladies do. I made that mistake once…

3. nancim72 July 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

This is too funny! When I took yoga a few years ago, there was a mirror at the front of the class and it helped me alot, watching my form. I took another one with no mirror and it felt totally wrong. Funny how you get used to things. However, I was never so close to the mirror to make such amusing observations as you. Love it!

• Hemarie July 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

I was toooooo close. I will definitely be earlier for any of the hot studio classes. Maybe I will be okay with looking at the mirror to improve my form then.

4. Katy Widrick July 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I was so excited to see your name on the Challenge winners when I went to yoga last night…:)

I have not checked out the new hot studio yet — that will have to be after I give birth — but I’m the opposite. I NEED to be near a mirror or I get all confused.

• Hemarie July 21, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Are you taking the prenatal yoga class? How do you like it?

5. Jo-Anne July 21, 2012 at 1:29 am #

I would hate to watch myself workout it would be freaky and would scare me since I am a short fat middle aged woman…………lol