My First Yoga Experience

1 Mar

I’ve been saying that I was going to try yoga for quite a long time. But the thing about me is, I’m scared of new things. So I kept putting it off… And putting it off… to the point that it was starting to get ridiculous.

Earlier this year I made it a goal to get my butt in gear and make it to a class. Lucky for me, Carolina from Peas in a Blog let me tag along to a yoga class with her last night.

Two very important things:

1. I didn’t fall flat on my face, though there was a point when the instructor thought I would break my arm if I didn’t correct my posture stat.
  2. I loved it!

The Huffington Post recently published this post about what to expect during your first yoga class. It was a perfect read before my first class.

Carolina also suggested I wear “wear clothes that won’t show anything when you’re upside down.” Easy enough, I wore a pair of Lululemon tights and one of their tops that I use for running. They were perfect for yoga too!

Lululemon... perfect for running AND yoga!

I brought a mat, a towel and water and met Carolina around 7:15 PM at Full Circle Yoga in Winter Park. They have an intro rate of 3 classes for $25 (must be used in one month) so I went with that option. Our class was a Hatha level 1 class, which was really great for a beginner like me. Our instructor Suzie, was really great at explaining the different positions and kept me from breaking my arm. Bonus points for her!

The class really was more than I expected. It was challenging, yet somehow relaxing. It required strength and balance, but stretched my entire body. And believe you me, this runner’s body was in need of some serious stretching!

The only drawback is that I somehow tweaked my back so I had to skip this AM’s run. With a really long run (16-18 miles) planned for this weekend, I decided it would be best if I let it rest. I’m sure that with time my back will get stronger and I’ll be more mindful of my poses, so I won’t let this deter me.

Final verdict: I’ll be at the Hatha 1 class next Wednesday night. 🙂

What’s your favorite type of yoga and why? I have so much to learn!

Advertisements

13 Responses to “My First Yoga Experience”

1. Jill March 4, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Yay for you. I think yoga is a great complement to running. I swear by power vinyasa yoga (Baptiste style) and have been going 2-3/week for about seven months now. Love it!

• Hemarie March 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

I’ll have to read up on vinyasa!

My hatha class had me stretching every muscle in my body. I just wanted to yell “oooooooh!” the entire time, but refrained from doing so. 🙂

2. Carolina @ Peas in a Blog March 5, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Yea girl! I think you’ll really notice a difference if you keep up yoga, it stretches you out & you feel more limber as you run (at least I do). I’m a huge fan clearly LOL

• Hemarie March 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Don’t worry! I’m drinking the kool-aid too. 😉

3. runeatdatesleep March 5, 2012 at 11:50 am #

I LOVE the vinyasa flow at College Park Yoga. I was going every Monday evening, but I took a break when I left lululemon. I need to start going again!

• Hemarie March 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

That’s two for vinyasa. I must try!

• Carolina @ Peas in a Blog March 6, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Ladies I think this means we should go to vinyasa flow together. Just saying 🙂

• Hemarie March 6, 2012 at 9:40 am #

I concur. 🙂

4. Jen March 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Love yoga! Love that it works all my muscles and yet I feel calm and relaxed after. I’m glad you liked it. We go to a free yoga (/pilates) class on Wednesdays up here if you ever want to join us : )

• Hemarie March 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

FREE?? Who, what, when, where and why?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Rock My Face Off Yoga, New Shoes and a Lovely AM Run « I Sweat Pretty - April 5, 2012

[…] you may have already read, I’ve only recently started yoga. I’ve loved my few practices, but as a noob I underestimated the sort of experience I could […]

2. Comfort Zone « I Sweat Pretty - April 27, 2012

[…] was scared to death of trying yoga for the first time, until Carolina from Peas in a Blog let me tag along with her to a class. Now I’ve got a new […]

3. 2012 in My Rearview « I Sweat Pretty - January 14, 2013